Friday, June 28, 2013

Altered Bottle

The swap for June was to alter a bottle. 
My partner asked for shabby chic, sage green, slate blue and brown. 

I first covered it in book/music paper.  Added lace and cheesecloth for texture. Gessoed it. Painted the bottle with some Italian Sage folkart paint. The image I found online. I wrapped cheesecloth that I dyed brown with Lindy's Stamp Gang - Moon Shadow Mist, around the beautiful picture. On the top of the bottle I glued in a knob, covered it with the stained cheesecloth as well. I added some flower trim from Stampin Up  (Robin had sent me with my paintbrush swap, thanks Robin!) that I painted Slate Blue. Put some pearl trim around and added lace.

Pin It

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Vintage Junk Journal

 Picture heavy post!! 

I made this vintage junk journal for a swap I was hosting. My partner asked for a journal using an old book. It isn't real "junky" but I loved how it came out. It was the first time I've made one using a book and found it a bit challenging. 

I removed all the pages from the book and made my own signatures. Never done this before and I am new at sewing. I hand sewed the signatures into the spine to make the book. I cut a square out on the cover to place a vintage image in. Used old ticket stubs for tabs. Tried out tea dying for the first time! I tea dyed some of the papers and lace! I used lots of tissue tape and I used decorative border punches on the edges of several papers.

Pin It

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Altered Light Switch Plate

I was recently in a swap for altered switch plates and a key. My partner said she preferred that it be more decorative than functional and that it be gray with hints of yellow, so this is what I came up with.

I first covered the switch plate with tissue paper to give it texture.Then glued down gears that I cut with my cameo out of paper. Next, I painted it gray and took embossing powder over the gears and heated it. I added little hints of yellow by using embossing powder as well. I added an eye peeking out, with wings as the main focal point. Little metal gears were added where the screws normally would go. I cut out the word "curiosity" from a scrap piece of G45 Old Curiosity Shoppe paper.

 And here is an altered key I made. Found the key really challenging and decided keys are not my thing..
I added a button with a gear I made with a mold and the melting pot. Wrapped wire with beads around the key.

Pin It

Saturday, June 15, 2013

My first ATC!

I recently was in a triple number swap for artist trading cards (ATC)  My numbers came up with Childhood for the theme, Girly for style, and the colors I could use were shades of green and black. We had to make 17 of the same card.

This was the first time I have ever made an ATC and I had never even received one before so I found it quite challenging.

I used a drawing my son made in kindergarten or first grade for my main focal point. I scanned and resized it and then colored it in with shades of green with crayon, added black photo corners to it. The childhood quote I found online. Added butterflies that I glitter glued green  and at the bottom I used Martha Stewart lace border punch in hopes to make it more girly.

Pin It